Thursday, February 15, 2007

Do you have old books?



This is a book drive being lead by the sister of a good friend of mine. My friend is Dr. Nina Rosario L. Rojas, currently a professor at the Ateneo de Manila University Chemistry Department. Her sister is Anna, the signatory.

Both are dedicated educators who would want to share their love of learning to the less fortunate in Guimaras. They accept any kind of books, magazines, publications, old or new. So, have a heart and give some. It really wouldn't hurt to unload the attic once in a while.

=)K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello to everyone!

In the spirit of Valentine's month......

Do you have encyclopedias rotting away since almost everyone is now using the internet? Do you have books just gathering dust bunnies on your shelves? Are your old high school and other former school books just lying idle somewhere? Are your piles of old magazines just a nuisance in your work space? Do you want to put to good use old educational audio &/or visual materials (e.g. tapes) before they get too moldy?

SHARE YOUR LOVE FOR READING & LEARNING THIS MONTH OF FEBRUARY!
MAKE FEBRUARY A TRUE MONTH OF LOVE!

The Sta. Teresa National High School in Guimaras has a newly-built library but NO BOOKS!!
(the small library room was donated too but books were not included in the donation)

Please drop your donations in the box just inside the Rizal Library main door from February 3-28, 2007. (please sign your name & items donated at the log sheet with the guards so we can acknowledge your donation)

For queries or requests for pick up of donations:
text or call 0915-409-1047 or 0922-888-3828 or 0917-7912021
A Special Project of the Ateneo de Manila Rizal Library & Concerned Faculty

(Personal) Note:
Last December 2006, I had the chance to finally visit the town in Guimaras of the wonderful ladies who took care of me during my childhood years. After about 30 years of dreaming of going there, I was finally able to visit them at their homes & communities in Sta. Teresa, Guimaras.

In the course of my stay there, I had the unexpected opportunity of walking to the school that Sarah, one of their nieces attends--the Sta. Teresa National High School. My original plan was to learn how to set the carabao to pasture but when I woke up at 5:15AM that cold, December morning, tatay (Sarah's grandfather) had already left for the fields. Hence, I thought of going with Sarah instead. The walk was almost like walking from Ateneo to Gateway/Cubao, through some grassy fields and rocky roads too! Since my morning was free, I thought of sitting in the morning classes of Sarah but first decided to pay a courtesy call and ask permission from their Principal, Mrs. Norma Tanaleon.

It was during my conversation with Mrs. Tanaleon, who has been with the school from its nipa hut days 33 years ago, that she shared with me the needs of their school--one of which was the concern that they had a relatively new library room built from a donation to the school but still NO BOOKS! I was in the office of Mrs. Lourdes David, the Director of the Ateneo de Manila Rizal Library a few weeks ago for other matters and had the chance to tell her about my experience at Guimaras, and my plan of doing a book drive for the high school. With outright support, she immediately invited me to put up a box for donations at the Rizal Library, which hopefully soon, will be filled with your generous donations. =)

For those in this email who are not part of the Ateneo community--feel free to contact me at the above-mentioned numbers or thru this email so we can make arrangements to pick up any of your donations.

For now, the "concerned faculty" refers to my sister Dr. Nina Rojas of the Chemistry Department, and myself, and our growing number of friends and supporters for this little project.

Nina's little project too is to help build the chemistry laboratory of the high school since that facility has been unused for the past four years. The chemicals that were donated to the school when the lab was built 13 years ago, have all expired.

Nina and I often feel that there can be so much "excess" in Manila but so much need in the provinces, in this case, the Sta. Teresa High School in Guimaras, which we surmise is typical of other schools on that island. Thus, we appreciate all your support for our little project, which may not only help Sta. Teresa but other schools in the area as well. For sure, the little day care center, where one of our former "yayas" now works, can also benefit from pre-school books and/or educational materials. About 10 years ago, after my brief stint as a pre-school teacher, I sent my teaching materials to them.

I was surprised to know last December, that they are still using some of the materials I sent them then.

By the way, you may donate reference materials too for their teachers!

Thank you very much for reading through!
We eagerly look forward to your support for our little project. Do feel free to share this email with others who might be willing to help too.

God bless to all!
AMDG! (and to my current & former students--FOFH-er!!) =)

Warm regards,
Anna Cristina L. Rojas
Lecturer
Leadership & Strategy Department
John Gokongwei School of Management
Ateneo de Manila University



No comments:

Post a Comment