Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Finding my fins part 2: Bungling on bubbles

Day 2:

Teacher Hannah teaches only two of us. The other student is young man who looks like an adolescent. He's already doing the freestyle.

Me? I'm stuck on turning. It's when you do rudimentary swimming then you turn to float on your back and then turn down again to paddle some more. Sounds easy? It is not, not in the least bit. My problem is breathing properly. And breathing properly means relaxing in the water.

Yup, I am still tense in the water. I actually drank some of the pool water this time. I tend to do bubbling when I am not supposed to.

(photo from http://www.hdwallpapersn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Water-Bubbles-Wallpapers1.png)

From my point of view, bubbling was my go-to-action when I get tense. I get tense when my face is submerged.  The point is: I have got to relax.

I tried doing a back float on my own. at the safety of that corner of the pool near the stairs. I was able to do it for about a minute. So, it really is possible to relax in the water. Now, I just need to do that face down.

What did I learn this time? I have to unlearn some default actions:
1. I tend to look down, most of the time
2. my body is tense most of the time

And yeah, my body is still aching... well, aching more now. But I think these are good aches. It's nice to know I still have muscles to develop.

#BLSS #bertlozadaswimschool

2 comments:

  1. Ahh, the rotation drill. It's one of the best drill to master balance and breathing rhythm. If you can master that, you'd be great at backstroek & freestyle but especially backstroke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Vher! I am still working on the timing. I finally got the rotation exercise by Wednesday and I started then on the freestyle and then the timing went out the window. LOL.

    ReplyDelete