Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Finding My Fins Part 1: Getting Started

Yeah, I love mermaids. I wish I were one. It's ironic because I don't know how to swim. Then someone posted that they were looking for someone who could write about swimming lessons and posted a survey. I honestly ticked off "can't swim" and "never had lessons". No one had dared teach me before.

Apparently, the Bert Lozada Swim School can teach swimming at any age. Their Facebook page actually says so:

...but notice that the people there don't seem to be at my age. I'm turning 45 very soon. Dun dun dunn...

Yesterday was the first lesson.

In taking a swimming class, there are some things you have to do:
1. Tell your teacher you have asthma. Don't forget.
2. Be honest. If you are afraid of the water, say so. If you're tired, say so.
3. Have your gear. Those goggles actually helped me be a little bit less afraid of the water.
4. Try to have fun. It's difficult to learn swimming when you can't relax in the water.

So what did I learn in my first day?

I know now that I can actually float, especially when I relax. But then thinking of relaxing makes me tense up -- it's a vicious cycle. I am still working on that one.

I also know realize that I have muscles -- because they have this dull ache right now. I hope the aches go away soon. It's just my first day! And the lessons are daily for this week and next week. ...okay, I am tensing up again.  ugh!

Must learn to relax.  Must learn to relax.  Must learn to relax.

Here's to learning to relax -- in the water!

#BLSS #bertlozadaswimschool


2 comments:

  1. Hahahahha! It's like yoga, the only way to relax in the water is breathe and always be attentive of your feel for the water. :) And, just take it slow. AI actually just learn by myself watching videos and practicing everytime I get a chance.

    You'll get it soon. I wish I had a coach too, but it's kinda too late for that. hahaha!

    Most swim schools nowadays teaches swimming to all ages. I actually get to swim with an elderly, I think around 65-70 years old, and doing like 20 laps of backstroke everytime she's in the pool. Age doesn't matter in the water, as long as you have balance, presence of mind, and relaxed. You're lucky to get to blog them and learn at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That is very reassuring. I am still trying to conquer my fear of the water. Having an instructor around helps build my confidence -- that someone is there watching me in case I bungle too much. Another thing I need to accept is that I will end up drinking some of the pool water whether I like it or not. hehehe

      Delete