Sunday, November 13, 2016

Miss Saigon 25th Anniversary: When I saw The Movie In My Mind


Before I fell in love with musical theater, there was Miss Saigon.  I was in college when word came out that international theater producer Cameron Mackintosh was in town to search for talents for his new project looking for its new star, among others. Lea Salonga was two year levels behind me in the same school. She was practically nondescript compared to the other celebrities in campus. We all know what happened next. And all that got me interested in theater.

Since then, I've been torn between seeing it and not seeing it. Sure, I wanted to see it but I ran the risk of getting thrown out of the theater for singing with it. They brought the production to Manila a few years after it opened in the West end but the tickets were too expensive for me.

So when they announced that the 25th Anniversary gala performance was recorded and that the recording was going to be shown in local theaters (selected SM Cinemas until Nov. 13 only), I couldn't wait to book tickets. In the meantime, I was singing parts of it on Smule. A soon as I was sure that I had a date with Penny on this, I booked our tickets.



Recorded in 2014, this production featured Eva Noblezada as Kim, Jon Jon Briones as The Engineer, Rachel Ann Go as Gigi, Alistair Brammer as Chris and Hugh Maynard as John.

As expected, the whole show was epic with show-stoppers highlighting the vocal and acting prowess of the company and its main actors.

Being used to the original London cast, I had my biases. First, I was caught off-guard with the changes in the lyrics and the production. On the whole they were ok, but there were moments that I wanted more of the original.

Eva Noblezada as Kim and Alistair Brammer as Chris.
While there is no doubt that she can belt out, Eva tended to sound nasal on the quieter parts of her songs.

On the other hand, Alistair looked and sounded good.

I have to rant about the changes in Why God though. The production revisions didn't jive with the lyrics. Chris sang "Why God? Why this face?" yet he was outside the room where Kim laid asleep. So, whose face was he referring to?

Also, Kim came out and they started smooching while singing A Song Played on a Solo Saxophone. It was ok, I guess but I was looking forward to seeing Kim run to Chris's arms for that big kiss. There was none. Also, they got rid of the hands intertwining during this song that its significance in the final scene was lost.  I know, I know, I'm nitpicking.

I have to rave about Hugh Maynard as John. I loved the way he stylized the role. Great voice too! He did justice to the majestic arrangement of Bui Doi. Yes, I prefer this John over the original.

I also have to agree with Lea when she said that Rachel Ann Go was good. I don't know how she compares to the original Gigi (Isay Alvarez) though. I am also thankful that they changed the lyrics of Movie in My Mind and got rid of "The screen before me fills" because I've always hated it when I heard it sang as "feels".

And, of course, kudos to Jon Jon Briones for a wonderful Engineer. He had his own version of the character. I loved Jonathan Pryce's Engineer but the crassness of Jon Jon's character was on point.

After two and a half hours of the epicness, the 25th anniversary finale was shown. My main complaint: why was this part only 35 minutes long?!



Lea could not contain her excitement as well.
We all expected Lea to be there, also Jonathan Pryce. It said as much in the credits and the posters. But it still felt awesome to see Lea under that straw hat. She was greeted with excited cheering, and I wanted to join in but the crowd I was with in the movie house weren't cheering as much as I wanted them to. Her voice is still as clear and resonant when she sang those high notes to start This is the Hour.

I have to say though: that cleavage...

Of course, Lea had to have a duet with Rachel, and that was an epic duet, to say the least. Lea doesn't sound like her Kim anymore though. She has a different quality of voice now.

Then Lea introduced Simon Bowman. Simon sounded sooooo good. They sang Last Night of the World complete with the smooching. I get the feeling Lea was enjoying that performance a lot. As can be expected, they were later joined by Eva and Alistair, and an exchange of partners ensued.

And then this happened.
Not to be left behind, and much to my glee (which I could not contain in the movie house because I screamed), Jonathan Pryce did American Dream. He was nostalgic about the whole thing, and so were we. During the number, Jon Jon joined him to which Jonathan exclaimed, "What are you doing here? This is my number!"

There was an obvious bromance between these two. They even adlibed some lines to interact. At one point, Jon Jon helped Jonathan up the hood of the Cadillac for their "signature move". Oh, the Cadillac also happened to bring in the Big Three of Miss Saigon, Cameron Mackintosh, Alain Boublil and Claude Michel Schonberg,

After the usual speeches, Cameron called in the original cast of the West End version. Sadly I did not see the familiar faces of the other Filipinos in the company.


If you haven't seen it yet, please do. Prepare tissues, your voice and your heart.

EXTENDED !!!!!!
SM Megamall - Nov. 14 - 16, 2016:  12:55 pm, 5:05; 9:15 pm
Other venues: SM Aura, SM Southmall, SM BF Paranaque, SM Mall of Asia (Nov. 14 & 15),
Check out smcinema.com for screening schedules.

No comments:

Post a Comment