Friday, October 07, 2016

Eating Healthy

Food. Everybody loves food. We need it to live, but some people simply have to have lots of it.

At a former office, people find ways to celebrate something because that would mean there's going to be food -- birthdays, employment anniversary, impending departure from the company, even first paycheck at the company. Except for the last one wherein the celebrant spends, someone would go around asking for contributions in any amount from those present and the pooled money would be used to buy celebration food -- pancit or spaghetti, grilled chicken, cake -- along with some other dish that would fit the budget. Suffice it to say, I grew in that company, sideways.

Wise people have said time and again that too much or too little isn't good for you. And it's true in this case. Our frequent celebrations weren't doing us any favors in the health department. Quite a number of my officemates there had developed hypertension at an early age, people in their 20s and 30s.

When I moved companies, it was for a health supplement company; so my first week was spent studying literature on the products. It was then that I felt ashamed of my diet, and felt blessed that I do not have the illnesses other people my age were already afflicted with.

So what should I eat?

There is of course the usual balanced diet recommendation of the scientists. There are also shortcuts. Since I had gained so much weight from the other job, I was particularly interested in the shortcuts. So I was dismayed by this.

But let's face it, eating healthy is not a one-time thing. It is a lifestyle. Nutritionists recommend the healthy food plate:


They also say "eat the rainbow". Of course, it's not the literal rainbow they refer to. It's more about having a variety of vegetables and fruits, plus proper hydration and enough activity and rest. It turns out, all that talk about too much and too little applies to everything.

Speaking of rest, I love to sleep. I have this clingy relationship with my bed. even my computer is stationed right beside my bed so I don't have to get up to use it. On weekends, I stay in bed a lot, and mostly asleep. But then, this is not very good to my health. Just like too little sleep, too much of it can cause problems in the same areas that lack of sleep can affect-- the heart, the eyes, the muscles and... well, just about all parts of the body.

So now I am at a crossroads -- I have to stay healthy, but I have all these nasty habits that are not healthy. I love bacon and cakes and sleep; and yes, coffee and chocolates too.

One day I'll decide to be fit again (as I was once a long time ago...). For now, I think I'll love me and feel good about me first.


3 comments:

  1. Good tips. I've been advised by my coach that based on my body chemistry, I need to drink around 4 liters of water a day. It's hard but it does make you feel full most of the time. And it also forces you to leave your desk cause you'll encounter frequent bathroom breaks. So it also indirectly induces walking. :) Here's to healthier future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the experts also recommend lots of water (2-4 liters per day, more if you're exposed to heat). I try it myself but when I get busy, I forget. I'm bad.

      Delete
    2. put a huge water container on your desk. set up alerts. anything to get you to drink more. :) Happy H20-ing!

      Delete