Sunday, September 13, 2015

Heneral Luna

Before anything, let me just say that I'm not a huge fan of Tagalog films -- lalo na yung over-commercialized overly dramatic sigawan-sampalan-fests with copied or predictable plots.

That said, I highly recommend this movie. This one, I actually liked.  Here is my review and I will do my best not to spoil it.


I loved the symbolisms. You have to see it to get what I mean. Otherwise, I will be spoiling it.

I loved the touch of Filipino humor in it. I'd heard other people not liking that, but I found it made the movie reachable and better understood. My favorite scene was when he tried to talk to the American.

I think teachers should tell their students to watch it. I think every Filipino should watch it. Take note: students get a 50% discount, even Masteral students. Just bring your ID.

It asks you pointed questions and makes you feel insecure about your own nationalism. All of a sudden, you're thinking if you love your country enough.

It makes you appreciate how people in your life can be level-headed and reasonable, especially when others are being petty and selfish.

Watching the movie, my only complaint would be on the obvious budgetary restrictions. They tried to make it all seem realistic, but you could see where they had to cut corners.

But even with those, I still give this movie ***** -- yes, 5 stars. So watch it already.

ADDENDUM:
Here are some tidbits about Antonio Luna that shows how kick-ass he was. Some of it were in the movie: http://www.filipiknow.net/facts-about-antonio-luna/

No comments:

Post a Comment