Friday, August 24, 2007

Mad Men, the TV Series

Rating:★★★
Category:Other
From the producers of the Sopranos comes another series that brings you back in time. This time, it's to the swinging 50's -- literally.

Set in the era of domesticated wives, philandering men, racial discrimination and out-and-out sexual harassment, this TV show has been lauded for its accurate depiction of the time. Women were either taking care of children or mere sexual objects. Black people were waiters who weren't allowed to be "chatty". Standards filled the airwaves. And men ruled.

Suffice it to say, men would love to be nostalgic to that era. I can't say the same for most women I know. For the show itself, it is somewhat intriguing. It does not reflect how it was in my country but it shows what the Filipinos wanted to be like (yes, good old colonial mentality) back then. This was a time when change was imminent. This was an age when subordinates were starting to realize things weren't fair at all.

With the first episode, I am somewhat left hanging though. Maybe it's a ploy for me to watch the next one. Well, it worked. I am looking forward to the next episode. But I am still with mixed feelings about it.

I am glad I do not live in that time. Yet, I am intrigued. I'd like to see more of the show, even just to be sure how I stand about it. For now, that's all I can say, Madmen is intriguing. It picked my interest enough to see another episode.

But, if you are one who loves nostalgia, the crooners of the 50's and the fast-paced environment of ad agencies, you'll love this show.

2 comments: