Saturday, February 11, 2006

Welcome, Death

a friend of mine posted his wishes for arrangements for when he dies. most people would find it morbid but i find it quite practical. so, here is mine...

people die. it's a fact. as my friend bf, Alistair Israel, had said, we are all dying and we started dying the day we were born. so, barring the immortality afforded to the gods and goddesses, here are my wishes:


i want no wake with a coffin and viewing. i want people to remember me alive, not some heavily made-up corpse wearing a sunday dress.

i want to be cremated. the urn, which i will make myself or have someone make especially for me, will be the one on "display."

the wake will take no longer than 3 days. those from abroad who wish to join the funeral can simply send the money instead. i'm sure the family i leave behind will find good use for it. the mourning is for the living. this kind of help will perk them up more than a couple of pats on the back and compassionate looks.

flowers? they're nice, but not necessary. if people feel they will lighten the mood, by all means, please! otherwise, spend the money on my baby.

frankly, even if the church says Catholics shouldn't their ashes scattered, I still want my ashes scattered, out at sea or at a lush greenery somewhere. those who want to keep a piece of me can keep a small bag of my ashes though, frankly, i don't know what good that'll do.

as for my precious CD collection... it's the only legacy I can leave my baby girl. may she find them useful especially in times of need. (Hunny, you can sell them if you have to, those ones with dedications and the ones that are hard enough to find should sell for a lot when you need the cash.)

and, of course, my books... they go to a library or book exchange program or a local public high school.

finally, my writings: the poetry and short stories will go into a collection to be published posthumously, not for sale, but as gifts to the people who care to read them. i might do the production myself before i kick the can.

sounds overly practical and cold? probably. honestly now, it's my will and testament... i call the shots on this one.

okay, for a little sentimentality, here's a little final message i'd like for that special person in my life-- you know who you are:

. i love you. i've made mistakes in my life that hurt you and i'm sorry.
. this death is my escape from the life wherein i'd caused that pain.
. so live now. move on. and make the most of what you have without me.

. while i basked in the night, you were my sunshine. goodbye, my love.

... that's it. no more mush.

by the way, happy valentine's! *grin*

=)K

2 comments:

  1. most people would find it morbid but i find it quite practical.

    True. It is just but practical. I myself have a will (un-notarized though) of my own. I remember reading "Little Women" and when Amy made her will, I just had to write my own. Though, I don't think I'll have the heart to put it up in any of my blogs or site right now. I'll wait when I feel that my time is about to end, then shall I post it.

    even if the church says Catholics shouldn't their ashes scattered, I still want my ashes scattered, out at sea or at a lush greenery somewhere.

    I'm not Catholic, so I wouldn't have a problem with this. And this is the least I could say in regards to my own post-death wishes. Mine should be scattered at the highest accessible point of Flat Rocks in LB. I don't want anybody to keep a piece of me. I want all those who loves me to move on without me. Keeping me with them is like holding on to me. But that's just me.

    You post in Multiply so rarely, and the topic is just my kind, so I just had to comment and give my 2 cents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, I post rarely... i have to feel like posting to write anything this personal. it's like my poetry... it's very rarely that people get to see them, and only in my confidence. some things are just meant to be private... until i die.

    also, a clarification:
    the first part of this blog said "i want no wake with a coffin and viewing." i didn't mean ABSOLUTELY NO WAKE here, rather, it's more of NO BODY VIEWING.

    i will add more details to my will, in time. for now, this general "bilin" should do. I've always wanted it to be this way anyway.

    =)K

    ReplyDelete